Northern Bypass Nairobi

Northern Bypass Nairobi
A Google map of a section of the Northern Bypass
The Northern Bypass in Nairobi is one of Kenya government’s major infrastructure projects aimed at making the country a regional business hub.

The 31-km bypass starts from Ruaka trading centre along Limuru Road, overpasses Banana Road through Runda and Thome estates. It then proceeds to Kahawa West and eventually to Ruiru,  through Kamae, where it joins the Eastern bypass.

The Nairobi Northern Bypass together with the Eastern Bypass will cost Sh8.5 billion. Kenya is financing 15 per cent of the project (Sh1.2 billion) while the China is financing the remaining 85 per cent (Sh7.3 billion).

Once complete, the Northern Bypass will be wide enough to accommodate two heavy commercial vehicles going opposite directions.

The project is expected to be complete by 2012 and includes construction of interchanges, flyovers, box culverts, and standard pipe culverts.

China has appointed China Road and Bridge Corporation (CRBC) as the contractor for the project.

EDITOR'S NOTE: Read the latest issue of Construction Business Review. Flip through the pages of the paper real-time or download a copy to read offline. Sign up for a FREE subscription to get the paper delivered to your inbox every month.