Eastern Bypass Nairobi

Eastern Bypass Nairobi.
The project is scheduled for completion in three years. PHOTO/FILE
The Eastern bypass in Nairobi is among the Kenyan government’s major infrastructure projects that are aimed at making the country a regional commercial hub.

The 39-km bypass starts on the Ruiru-Kiambu road. It crosses the Northern bypass and the Ruiru railway line into Thika road. After crossing Thika Road, it crosses Kamiti, Gathara-ini and Nairobi rivers into Ruai. The corridor then crosses Kangundo Road and proceeds to Mombasa Road via Embakasi Garrison and the North Airport Road.

The Eastern Bypass together with the Northern Bypass will cost Sh8.5 billion. The government of Kenya is financing 15 per cent of the project (Sh1.2 billion) while the Chinese government is financing the remaining 85 per cent (Sh7.3 billion).

The project, scheduled for completion in three years, includes construction of  flyovers, interchanges, standard pipe culverts and box culverts.

China has appointed China Road and Bridge Corporation (CRBC) as the contractor for the bypass.

EDITOR'S NOTE: Read the latest issue of Construction Business Review. Flip through the pages of the paper real-time or download a copy to read offline. Sign up for a FREE subscription to get the paper delivered to your inbox every month.

3 Responses to "Eastern Bypass Nairobi"

  1. I happy about construction of the greater Eastern bypass, especially if it is through mwalimu farm. Question. when will the construction start. We have waited for so long,we keeping of hearing it starting but we see no action.

  2. Hon George Gitau, MCA Gatong'ora Ward · Edit

    When shall you open the only access to Mwalimu farm through Gicheha farm, which is now encroached by an electric fence hence blocking the only access to the same? Please treat this matter as argent because people are suffering.

  3. It is hard to believe that Mwalimu Farm is adjacent to the mighty Nairobi County…one visiting this area would be forgiven for thinking they are in a remote Northern Kenya outpost : no access roads, electricity all around but not Mwalimu Farm.

    Eng Michael, Mosonik- you need to visit this remote part of Kenya.

Comments are closed.